Tuesday 2 June 2015

30/30 Challenge - Day 29

I lived a few blocks away from Richmond's Nature Park for many years and for who knows what reason, never went there once to check it out. Maybe it was the signs advertising the yearly slug festival. Not sure what that is but it didn't inspire me to go take a look. As Richmond doesn't have a ton of green spaces and I was running out of parks, I decided to go take a look.

There is a building with a few exhibits of the kind of creatures that would live there. The park is a bog land which probably most of Richmond was before all the development, so there was snakes, frogs and a variety of stuffed woodland animals like raccoon, coyote, small deer, and skunk. There were a few sculptures around the entrance like this one.


Behind the building were a variety of bird feeders.

 

 
 There were also a variety of bird, bat and butterfly houses.


 Bird feeders with no birds in sight.



Paths leading into the bog




There was something strangely familiar about the vegetation here, cant remember where I may have been in this kind of environment. The trees were a thin dark scrubby pine with what looked like blueberry bushes underneath. It seemed quite different from the vegetation I normally see around BC, more like Ontario maybe.

 


Lots of little birch trees as well.


There is a small pond, more like a large puddle with turtles( not sure if they are native to the area or left over pets)
 
 
 
 

This happy bird caught himself a mouthful of dragonfly


I love these flowers, so very Dr. Seuss looking!


The trails were quite nice. I didn't have a lot of time, so only did the shorter trails. There were other trails that went deeper into the bog but they had signs saying they would be muddy and boots were recommended. The traffic noise was quite loud in the park which always deters from the experience for me, but at least I can say I finally made it to this park.




Did you like this post? Share it! Tweet it! "Like" The Eclectic Ark on Facebook! Thanks, your awesome,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment, Rhianna

The Eclectic Ark